Makeup artist Henna Baig of The Cutting Edge Salon talks to us about her hair and makeup secret
Makeup trends for summer?
The Korean gradient lip tint! It adds enough colour to the lips without making them look outlined and done. Eyes are matte in earthy or neutral shades with individual false lashes and brushed out eyebrows.
What are some tips to make foundation look natural during the summer?
lÂ Â Â Â Â Â Use a low coverage matte foundation (preferably mineral or liquid)
lÂ Â Â Â Â Â Conceal only if and where required
lÂ Â Â Â Â Â Let the weather and the natural skin oils play as highlight, adding extra highlight will only make the face look sweaty.
How do you suggest people protect their natural skin and hair from makeup and styling?
- Cleanse your face properly and make sure there is no makeup on your face when you go to bed.
- Scrub twice a week (at night) followed by a sleep in face mask according to your skin type.
- Invest in a good foundation brand that doesnâ€™t clog your pores.
- Always use a sunscreen (day time) and moisturizer or any primer before applying foundation.
- Use very gentle cleansers to remove eye makeup and work with a very soft hand.
- Scrub your lips before going to bed especially if you have been using dark/bright lip colors.
- Keep your makeup brushes and sponges clean.
- Make sure you also prioritise haircare
- Always invest in professional hair products like a sulphate free shampoo and a deep conditioning mask.
- Use a heat protection serum before styling.
- Treat your hair with a protein treatment every weekend.
What is your go-to skincare routine?
I like to cleanse and tone my skin daily. I scrub twice a week at night, followed by a sleep in face mask. Always use sunscreen and moisturizer!
Never sleep with makeup on!
Keep yourself hydrated!
What mistakes do most brides make in your opinion? If you could give the brides who come to you advice, what would it be?
Keep yourself hydrated at all times! Donâ€™t neglect your body and the nutrition and hydration it needs weeks prior to your big day. Also, red is not always the way to go. Brides should look into peaches, off-whites, golds and pinks as they compliment our skin tones. There should be one focus point in the makeup, either glam up the eyes or the lips. Donâ€™t do both! A no makeup look is done with makeup. It doesnâ€™t mean that you use NO makeup.
What challenges have you faced as an MUA in Pakistan?
Clients have these heavily filtered photos and videos saved as makeup inspo where all the brides look like flawless porcelain dolls. Itâ€™s impossible to match their unrealistic expectations.
What consists of your everyday makeup kit?
Moisturizer, concealer, mascara, brow gel, lip and cheek tint.
Top 5 foundations?
lÂ Â Â Â Â Â Guerlain
lÂ Â Â Â Â Â NARS
lÂ Â Â Â Â Â Bobbi brown
lÂ Â Â Â Â Â Too faced
lÂ Â Â Â MAC